Montag, 8. August 2011

damien tutorial

NAME OF TUTOR: damien


DATE: 27.7.11


STUDENT TO FILL IN:

What points were discussed during the tutorial?


We talked about the -mystery- series I intend to show in the final show, and how the images interact with each other. I told Damien about my starting point, when I wanted to make the painting as much photo-like as I could. After a few paintings I felt that I should give the painting itself a role in the work as well, and the validity of painted content. Especially I wanted to use the ridiculousness of trying to use painting as a proof. Damien seemed to like the very obviously manipulated ones. It added some humour to the whole series.

Damien mentioned warminster as a town that is very related to ufos. I said, I am a bit unsure about the backround of the paintings (wall) – whether to paint it in a certain colour or not. We talked about red (pseudo-horror) and black (colour of the unexpected). Trying in photoshop would be the best solution. Furthermore Damien told me about local mythodology, such as panthers that once were transported to the uk and then escaped in the wild.

The idea arose to make fake-posters of a missing mystery thing (panther, dinosaur...) and hang them around in a certain area.



2. What issues will be thinking further on as a result of this conversation?


I will definitely think further about the poster idea ( especially because as a graphic designer I made many posters, and I was always looking for a way to combine these skills), probably will happen after the show/course, as at the moment I want to concentrate on finishing my painted-series. I will also think further about the sense of humour in my work.



STAFF COMMENTS:

Max’s current series of paintings is progressing well, the looser marks are an interesting playful development. It would be advisable to paint more than is needed and then whittle down a strong final selection for the degree show. Considering the cryptozoological aspect (Nessie) the curious phenomenon of alien big cats in the UK would be of interest ( HYPERLINK "http://www.ukbigcats.co.uk/" http://www.ukbigcats.co.uk/) and adds a local twist to the tale (the Beast of Sydenham). Martin Healy’s work was discussed: his work often explores superstition and belief, including a UFO series (link to a clip of his Warminster documentary: HYPERLINK "http://www.martinhealy.net/watcher3.html" http://www.martinhealy.net/watcher3.html). The idea of planting misleading information in the public domain calls to mind the work of Jamie Shovlin or Maurizio Cattelan. Film stills could also be employed as a source of imagery, see Peter Rostovsky’s Transport Series.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen